In this article we will discuss how liquid detection in iPhone works and What should you do if your iPhone gets wet. Newer iPhones can detect liquids or moisture in the Lightning port. It is a way to avoid problems in the electrical type charge and that can cause its disablement and even fire. Here is how you can check if your iPhone is liquid damaged.
You may also like “Is Your iPhone 8 Plus waterproof“.
What is the liquid detection alert on the iPhone
When your iPhone gets wet and liquid enters the Lightning port, there is a risk of it being damaged if we connect its charger. Upcoming iPhones have a system to detect moisture and water at the connector. In case a liquid enters it, the terminal will display this warning:
The liquid detection alert in the Lightning port of the iPhone occurs when we insert the charger. The only models that support this protection are the iPhone manufactured in 2018 and later. Which includes the iPhone XR, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, and iPhone SE.
As the screenshots show, there are two modes of liquid detection notice:
- Charge not available: Liquid has been detected in the Lightning connector. Unplug it to allow the connector to dry. This can take several hours.
- Liquid detected in the Lightning connector: Disconnect the cable to allow the connector to dry. This can take several hours.
What should I do if my iPhone shows liquid detection notification?
If you come across this notice on your iPhone, it is best to immediately remove the charging cable. We must avoid permanent damage to both the device and the cable. Apple recommends doing the following:
- Put the iPhone vertically and give it a few light blows to pour the liquid from the connector.
- Let it dry in a dry area for at least half an hour.
- If you see the notice again, wait a whole day.
- In any case, do not dry your iPhone with a heat source (a dryer) or with compressed air.
- You should not insert cotton swabs or other things that may leave residues inside.
- Apple also not recommend putting your water damaged iPhone in a bowl of rice.