On June 22, Apple released the first beta version of the new operating systems. iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 have amazing performance and fluidity. However, after installing these betas, if you want to return to the latest stable version you can do it easily.
If you are already on the latest iOS 13.5 and unable to install iOS 13.5.1, check this article. Follow steps below to downgrade your iPhone or iPad to iOS 13 from iOS 14.
How to Downgrade iOS 14 Beta to iOS 13.5
Before starting the process, keep in mind that iCloud backups made in iOS 14 are not compatible with those of iOS 13.
Therefore, if you do not have a physical copy on your computer for iOS 13 or you deleted the copies in iCloud when updating to iOS 14. You may have to reconfigure your iPhone or iPad as new. Follow these steps:
- Update your Mac to the latest version available from > About this Mac > Software Update. You can also use the Big Sur beta if you want.
- Then connect your iPhone or iPad to the Mac.
- Enter Recovery Mode. To enter you need to press one of these key combinations:
- For iPhone 8 and later: Press and release the volume up button. Press and release the volume down button. Then press the side button until you see the Recovery Mode icon.
- For the iPad Pro with Face ID: Press and release the volume up button. Press and release the volume down button. Then press the side button until you see the Recovery Mode icon.
- For the iPhone 7, 7 Plus, or the seventh-generation iPod touch: Press the Sleep / Wake button and the volume down button at the same time until you see the Recovery Mode icon.
- For iPhone 6s or earlier, iPads with a Home button or iPhone touch 6th generation or earlier: Press the Sleep / Wake button and the Home button at the same time until you see the Recovery Mode icon.
- Then choose the Restore option.
- Wait for the process to complete and you can now restore the corresponding backup.
To enter Recovery Mode on iPhone 8 and later and on iPad Pro with Face ID the sequence of pressing and releasing the different buttons needs to be very fast. In a second or two you should already be holding down the side button.
Remember that before showing the Recovery Mode icon, all the devices will restart and the Apple icon will appear. You must keep pressing the corresponding buttons and only release them when you see the Recovery Mode indicator.