In this article, we will explain how to change your AirDrop name on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac.
AirDrop allows you easily and efficiently transfer files you’ve saved on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac to any other iPhone, iPad, or Mac. It uses Bluetooth technology, allowing you to share all your photos, videos, contacts, etc to another iPhone through a fast and secure connection.
When you use AirDrop to transfer your data to other iPhones and iPads, you may notice a large number of Apple IDs to choose from, excessing your own. This can become a problem when all the devices around you have the same default name like “iPhone” or “iPad”.
This is definitely something you will want to fix by renaming your AirDrop name on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Mac. Your AirDrop name can be your device name. This means we will actually change your device name.
You may like “iPhone or iPad Bluetooth not Working? How to Fix“
Change the AirDrop name on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
To rename your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, do the following:
- Go to or tap the Settings icon from your iOS device.
- From Settings, from head to General.
- Then tap About.
- Tap on the name of your device, which should be the first line of the screen.
- From here, you can change the name of your device, which will be the same name that will be used when trying to create AirDrop files on all devices.
- When you are finished with the renaming process, click Done.
To rename your iPod classic, iPod nano, or iPod shuffle:
- You will need to connect your iPod device, regardless of version, to your computer.
- Start iTunes on your computer.
- Locate and click on your device.
- You should now see the name of your device at the top of the left sidebar. Click on the device name.
- Type in the new name of your device, which will be used for your AirDrop, and then press Enter (Return).
- Your device and iTunes will sync automatically, so the new name you chose for your iPod will appear on your iPod.
After above steps you just need to select a file and Airdrop it to your friend.
Change the AirDrop name on Mac
There are two ways to change Airdrop name on your Mac
Use System Preferences
- On your Mac, in the menu bar, click System Preferences …
- Then click Share.
- Type the name you want to use for your computer in the “Computer Name” box provided.
- After typing the name, just close the window.
- Please note that you may need to unlock this setting by clicking the lock icon.
You can use terminal to change your device name on your Mac.
- Open Terminal by going to Applications and then click Utilities.
- Enter the following command and hit return.
scutil --set ComputerName "iosdebug.com"
- Please replace “iosdebug.com” with a name that will identify your Mac.
- You may need to enter your admin password.